US Formula 1™ Grand Prix: November 16-18, 2012. Many visitors will be here for the entire weekend; some would like to stay in the Austin area for five or more nights.
Vacation Rental Tax Info for Property Owners:
Property owners, don’t forget to collect taxes on your Vacation Rental. It’s easy – below are brief instructions and links to the main forms you’ll need. Important update: the Austin City Council will be making some changes to the way Short Term Rentals work.
The Texas state hotel tax rate is 6%, the City of Austin’s rate 9%, for a total tax rate of 15%.
Who has to collect hotel taxes?
- A hotel’s owner, operator, or manager must collect hotel taxes from their guests. For the purposes of the tax, a hotel is considered to be any building in which members of the public rent sleeping accommodations for $15 or more per day. Local hotel taxes apply to sleeping rooms costing $2 or more per day. The tax covers hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts, as well as condominiums, apartments, and houses rented for less than 30 consecutive days. Hotel tax does not apply to hospitals, sanitariums, nursing homes, student dormitories operated by colleges and universities, or condominiums, apartments, and houses leased for more than 30 consecutive days.
You can file online for free. Below are State of Texas and City of Austin links to help you out.
State of Texas Vacation Rental home tax information:
- First, sign up for your tax account at the State’s WebFile page for free.
- State of Texas Vacation Rental / Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) info
- State of Texas Vacation Rental tax form 102
- All State of Texas HOT forms
- State of Texas Hotel/Vacation Rental tax FAQs
City of Austin Vacation Rental tax information:
- NEW Austin Short Term Rental rules set for October 1st
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the Texas State Comptroller’s office. They’re friendly and helpful!
More about the Austin Grand Prix:
- Official Circuit of the Americas website www.CircuitoftheAmericas.com
- Austin F1 Weekend street closures, shuttle & event info www.AustinTexas.gov/grandprix
- Austin Race Events www.AustinRaceEvents.com
- Austin Race Hotels www.AustinRaceHotels.com